Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day—especially for diabetics. Eating a healthy breakfast gives the body the energy and fuel it needs to be physically active. Choosing a breakfast that is high in protein and low in sugar will keep energy levels up and blood sugar levels down. A small propane stove or tripod grill and a griddle will assist with cooking this meal.
Cheesy Grits and Sausage
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking grits
- 2 ounces uncooked bulk turkey sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 tablespoon sliced green onion
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped, seeded fresh jalapeno pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- Dash black pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a medium saucepan bring water to boiling. Slowly add grits, stirring constantly. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cook and stir for 5 to 7 minutes or until the water is absorbed and mixture is thickened.
- Stir in the cooked turkey sausage, green onion, jalapeno pepper, garlic salt, and black pepper. Spoon into serving dishes. Sprinkle each serving with cheese. Makes 2 (3/4-cup) servings.