Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day—especially for diabetics. Eating a healthy breakfast gives the body the energy and fuel it needs to be physically active. Choosing a breakfast that is high in protein and low in sugar will keep energy levels up and blood sugar levels down.
Spiced Apple Berry Oatmeal
- 2 cups water
- 1 3/4 cups apple juice
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 1 medium apple, cored and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans or almonds, toasted (optional)
- In a large saucepan bring water and apple juice to boiling.
- Stir in oats, apple, apple pie spice, and salt.
- Return mixture to a simmer; reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until desired consistency and oats are tender.
- Stir in berries.
- Serve with milk and, if desired, pecans.