Quick Tips for Walking
- Warm up first by walking in place or start out walking at a slower pace than normal for 3-5 minutes.
- Stretch for 5-10 minutes after you warm up or after your walk to help you stay more flexible.
- Keep good posture. Gaze forward, not down at the ground, with your chin level and head up.
- Stay hydrated by drinking throughout the day before you begin your walk.
- Wear shoes designed for walking or exercise for greater comfort and to prevent injuries.
- Once you are used to your walking routine, don’t be afraid to take it to the next level.
Here are some ways you can change up your walking routine to keep improving your fitness:
- Pick up your speed for short intervals throughout your walk to get your heart rate up.
- Increase the distance of your walks to build endurance.
- Walk both faster and farther, and add some hills to your workout.
- Switch up your routine. Do a faster, shorter walk some days and longer brisk walk other days.
- Try going with a friend some days and bring music for others.
- Walk through a Labyrinth. A labyrinth is a path for walking meditation, has been introduced as a way to deal with life stressors. You can find a labyrinth using the labyrinth online locator:: https://labyrinthlocator.com