Spumone (from spuma or “foam”), plural spumoni, is a molded Italian ice cream made with layers of different colors and flavors, usually containing candied fruits and nuts.
Typically, it is of three flavors, with a fruit/nut layer between them. The ice cream layers are often mixed with whipped cream. Cherry, pistachio, and either chocolate or vanilla are the typical flavors of the ice cream layers, and the fruit/nut layer often contains cherry bits—causing the traditional red/pink, green, and brown color combination.
Spumoni is popular in places with large Italian immigrant populations. August 21 is National Spumoni Day in the United States and November 13 is National Spumoni Day in Canada.
Neapolitan ice cream, named after Naples, is a variation of spumoni. Cherry was changed to strawberry and pistachio to vanilla to reflect the most popular American flavor preferences.
Spumoni is also a nightmare for healthy eaters, dieters and diabetics as it is full of sugars, carbohydrates and overall just a sweat bomb that will take days of vigorous exercise to eliminate its effect on your body.
DIY Layer Popsicles
- 3/4 Cup Coconut water
- 1/2 cup of Fresh Fruit (pick three for a three layer popsicle)
- … or three favorite
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
- Select one fruit at a time blend fruit, 1/4 cup coconut water and 1 tablespoon agave nectar in a blender.
- Puree until smooth.
- Pour mixture to Popsicle molds (you can make popsicles of each fruit or create multiple layers)
- Repeat with each fruit.
- Freeze overnight (depending on your freezer it might need 24 hours)
This is a chance to be creative with her desserts.
Try different combinations and see which you like most.